Part II Vocabulary (10%)
Directions: In this section all the sentences are incomplete. Four words or phrases, marked A, B, C and D, are given beneath each of them. You are to choose the word or phrase that best completes the sentence. Then, mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET.
31. Employers have a legal obligation to pay _______ to their workers for injuries.
A. compensation B. compromise C. commodity D. consumption
32. The argument between the two patients became so fierce that the doctor had to _________.
A. alleviate B. aggravate C. extinguish D. intervene
33. But despite all the legal hustle and bustle, they don’t actually expect to _______ death sentences to life terms without parole.
A. induce B. convert C. revive D. swerve
34. To maintain physical well-being, a person should eat _______ food and get sufficient exercise.
A. integral B. gross C. wholesome D. intact
35. The Central Government’s pledge to maintain the ______ and stability of Hong Kong at all costs is a great encouragement to the local finance.
A. provision B. prosperity C. privilege D. preference
36. It is pointed out that patients must be reassured that “their lives will not be ______ as a result of bed shortages.”
A. facilitated B. forfeited C. fulfilled D. furnished
37. The cause of his death has been a mystery and _______ unknown so far.
A. exclusively B. superficially C. utterly D. doubtfully
38. It is known that some ways of using resources _______ can destroy the environment as well as the people living in it.
A. recklessly B. sparingly C. sensibly D. incredibly
39. Cholera is a preventable waterborne bacterial infection that is spread through ______ water.
A. filtered B. distilled C. contaminated D. purified
40. We welcome him not ____________ as a new broom but rather as a very old friend.
A. by the way B. at all events C. by no means D. in any sense
1、2018年考博英语远程协议通关班(名师课程 5次1对1辅导 3次计划 3次测评 10次答疑 2次作文批改 学习百宝箱 协议 赠考博英语一本通)